Find Out About Lowestofts Porcelain Era
The history of Lowestoft and its famous porcelain goes way, wat back. Take a read about Lowestoft Porcelain….. During the 2nd half of the 18th century a factory in Crown Street produced soft-paste porcelain ware, the first of its kind in a truly commercial sense in Lowestoft. Items of Lowestoft Porcelain still exist, and there are collections at the museum in Nicholas Everett Park, Oulton Broad, and at the Castle Museum, Norwich.
This Lowestoft factory produced a range of experimental wares in about 1756 and first advertised their porcelain in 1760, operating until about 1801. The factory was in production for longer than any English soft-paste porcelain producer other than Royal Worcester and Royal Crown Derby.
Periods of Crown Street Porcelain Factory Periods
Lowestoft collectors divide the factory’s products into three distinct periods, Early Lowestoft circa 1756 to 1761, Middle-Period circa 1761 to 1768 and Late-Period circa 1768 to the closure of the factory in about 1801.
During the early period wares decorated with Chinese-inspired scenes in underglaze blue were produced. This type of decoration continued throughout the life of the factory but scenes were gradually simplified. Overglaze colours in enamel were used from about 1768. The factory, which was built on the site of an existing pottery or brick kiln, was later used as a brewery and malt kiln. Most of the remaining buildings were demolished in 1955. You can still source Lowestoft Porcelain from specialists dealers / auctioneers such as Russell Sprake based in Lowestoft.